Our original closet was not going to make the cut. It was too plain and it didn't have enough storage space or curb appeal for a nursery. First thing I did was remove the doors. In fact, I did that before I even took any pictures. So the before photo isn't even as accurate as I'd like. But there was no way I was putting 18 screws back in just for a picture.
I did some research and purchased 2 pieces of furniture that I thought would give me the storage I desired. One was a dresser and the other was a cube organizer. I bought them both from Amazon, because that's what I do. In different circumstances I could've found cheaper alternatives at a thrift store or I could've built them from scratch, but I was running out of time and needed a quick fix.
The cube organizer required assembly, but the dresser did not. I sized them up in the closet to make sure my measurements were correct. Once I knew their exact placement, I did some additional measurements for shelves and hanging racks. The idea was to stack the cube organizer on top of the dresser and put one shelf in between them and one on top of them. Then I would attach hanging rods below the shelves for the clothing.
Once I had my measurements, I went to the hardware store for the rest of my supplies.
2 White Composite Boards (Shelves)
2 Wooden Circular Rods (Closet Poles)
8 Closet Pole Sockets (4 Sets of 2)
Obviously, with a closet project, measurements are going to be different for everyone. So I won't bore you with mine. I will just show you the steps I used.
First, I installed the dresser. I cut a piece of scrap wood out to secure to the back of the dresser so it would be even with the trim at the bottom of the closet. I don't have a picture of this step, but I hope it's self-explanatory. I didn't want the dresser to wobble and I didn't want to cut out a piece of the trim at the bottom either. So I secured that scrap wood to the wall, then secured the dresser to it.
Then I cut the white boards down to size. I wanted them to stretch all the way across the length of the closet and settle on top of my two pieces of furniture.
My idea is to put a valance above the closet and hang some thin, white curtains on either side to cover the trim. This is usually done on windows. I found a good example from another blogger on Pinterest. Hopefully I can get to that in the next week or so. Future blog post!