It's been a while since my last post. Baby Eleanor was born at the beginning of January and I've been basking in the glow of motherhood. It's funny... I thought I would have more time to blog and work on small projects during my maternity leave. I had all these grand plans to overhaul my website and clean it up a little. NOT! People warned me that a newborn would take up all of my time, but I still assumed I would be able to take advantage of her naps. Not the case. In fact, I barely got through this paragraph without incident.
As for my next few posts, I am going to finish up the nursery projects. I managed to complete the room before baby was born so I have a few fun items to show for it. One of those items is the crown canopy.
I knew I wanted to do a crown canopy over the crib from the moment we found out we were having a girl. I specifically wanted to know the gender of the baby ahead of time so I could plan the nursery accordingly. I understand the appeal of the surprise, but it was not for me. My little girl's room is pinked out to the max. No "gender neutral" colors here.
I started my crown canopy search on Pinterest so I could get an idea of what I wanted. Then I branched out to Etsy, Amazon, etc. My plan was to purchase the crown to hang on the wall and then attach my choice of fabric. However, after a little research, the only thing I discovered was that the crowns were super expensive. I just was not willing to pay upwards of $80 for a decorative wall hanging. On to plan B. Make it myself!
Once I'd decided to make the crown myself, I had to start my research all over again. I actually found a vendor on Etsy that was selling wooden crowns. So I studied the pictures and came up with a plan for making one on my own. It probably wasn't the most efficient process, but as usual, a lot can be learned from my mistakes.
- Wood of Choice
- Primer Spray Paint
- Spray Paint (Gold)
- Wood Glue
- Wood Filler
- Staple Gun
- Small Wooden Rod
- Wooden Knobs
- Jig Saw
- Wall Hooks
I started by drawing out the pieces I wanted to cut out of my wood. I drew them by hand using a ruler. Looking back, I realize it would have been easier to just draw out one piece on a sheet of paper, cut it out, and trace it onto the wood 5 times so all the pieces were uniformly sized. Hindsight is 20/20.
With the curtains attached to the rod, I figured out a method to attach the crown to the wall. At first, I was going to use claw hooks and nails, but I didn't think that would be safe enough to hang over a sleeping baby. Instead, I bought a few Command hooks. They were strong enough to hold the crown and they moved freely. That way, in the event that something snagged the curtains, the whole piece wouldn't come crashing down. It would give a little. Not that it will be a problem. Baby isn't sleep in the crib yet, and by the time she does, I will move the curtains away from the crib sides so she won't be able to grab them anyway.