The idea for this particular project actually came from a rug that I saw somewhere along the way. It was a chevron pattern with a few cute colors that I thought complemented each other well. I decided it would look even better on the wall. So I set about drawing up my idea in the sketchbook.
I started with delegation. Taking apart pallets is hard enough as it is. Add a baby bump to the mix and it's virtually impossible. So naturally, I enlisted the hubby. He was happy to help. That is, until I chose the pallet. It was a stubborn little bugger. Lots of nails and wood that splintered too easily. We probably ended up trashing more of the wood than we actually used, but we managed to get what I needed.
I started by spray painting them all with a quick layer of primer. I figured that would cover up some of the knots that were darker than the rest of the wood. Then I chose three different acrylic paints. Eventually, I ended up painting the pinks a darker color that I had leftover from another project. The acrylic pink was just a little too light.
With this project done, my nursery decorations are starting to come together pretty well. Of course, I've only managed to fill two shelves on one piece of furniture in the room, so I have a long way to go. Stay tuned for more little girl decorations in the future!